May is MST Month! Thats a whole month dedicated to the trail we’re so excited about hiking this fall. There are plenty of ways you can celebrate MST Month. My hiking group will be hosting 4 hikes on the trail this month – Basin Cove to Devil’s Garden, Jumpinoff Rock to Sheets Gap, Harper Creek Wilderness, and the Tanawha Trail. Great Outdoor Provision Co is raising money for FMST by selling raffle tickets all month long. If you’ve been thinking about volunteering for FMST, what better time to start than now! The trail is built and maintained primarily by volunteers. For more information, see their website.
Some fun facts about the Mountains-to-Sea Trail:
- The MST was named “Best Thru-Hike You’ve Never Heard Of” by Outside Magazine in 2011
- The trail is 1000 miles long and traverses both the highest peak east of the Rockies (Mount Mitchell) and the highest sand dune on the east coast (Jockey’s Ridge)
- The MST travels along the AT for several miles at the beginning of the trail
- The MST passes through 3 national parks, 3 national forests, and 7 state parks
- In the coastal section, the trail utilizes 3 ferry rides and passes 3 lighthouses
No matter how you choose to get involved – volunteering, hiking, donating – make May the time you finally check out the Mountains-to-Sea Trail!